Senior Design Engineer (Linux)
Our Client has a proud heritage of over 120 years in Jersey and due to an exciting phase of growth they are looking for someone who loves working with Linux to join them. You will contribute towards the overall strategic and technical ownership of Linux, physical and virtual estate, (around 400 servers) – this includes systems supporting International business, Telecommunications and public ISP services based in the Channel Islands.
Essential Experience & Skills:
• Extensive experience administering IT systems with a proficient and in-depth understanding of Linux operating systems and a good understanding of Windows operating systems and associated open source monitoring, management, deployment and reporting tools.
• Proficient understanding of ISP services / protocols /network concepts (including IP, TCP, DNS, Mail, HTTP(s), routing, switching concepts, load balancers, layer 7 firewalls etc.)
• Previous extensive experience working to and contributing to company security policy compliance as well as industry standard certification like ISO 27001.
• Certified RED Hat Administrator, LPIC III, Cisco CCNA
• Expert knowledge and experience with design of virtualisation and public/private cloud technologies including Openstack, KVM, VMware as well as Hyper-V, Amazon AWS, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc.
• Must establish and maintain an in-depth knowledge of current and future technologies in order to contribute to the identification of advances and improvements in ICT
• Experience of delivering IT network infrastructure projects and assessing solution performance and recommending Service Improvement Initiatives within large enterprise communication solutions.
• Experience constructing comprehensive quotes and/or proposals and the relevant numerical skills in order to technically size network load capacity requirements.
• Create and modify operational and technical procedures and/or best practice documents.
• Awareness of the telco and financial businesses regulations.
• Comfortable with scripting (bash/PHP/python etc.), proven track record in DevOps activities. A broad knowledge of unix-type services (mail/dns/loadbalancing/common httpds, etc.) and opensource technologies is key.
• Have a can-do attitude and be very comfortable with various virtualisation technologies as well as storage and network configuration. Experienced in technical project delivery and are on the cutting edge of opensource developments but also able to balance this with operational/business needs and risk appetite – as well as open to communication on the right way to approach a solution within the team.
• You will be a Technical Expert with a keen motivation to support and guide other team members, business units and vendors.
Desired Experience & Skills:
• RHCE/CCNA or equivalent experience
• Automation capability (ansible/puppet/chef)
• Proficient understanding of web technologies e.g. Apache/Nginx/HTTP
Package- Circa £61,000
26 Days Holiday + Pension Scheme + Performance Bonus + Private Health + Dental Package + Death in Service
37.5 hours p/w
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity please send your CV to email@example.com